Thursday, February 4, 2016

r3 of the PICAXE board arrived!


Here it is, the latest rev of my low cost PICAXE board for kids!  Same size, but more pins than before!  When I make these in large quantities, the cost of putting components on the bottom side of the PCB is negligible, so I decided to do just that and cram in a larger PICAXE.

I was very excited to get this board soldered, so I assembled one at work, only to find that it didn't work.  When I plugged it in, the power LED came on, but I didn't get my friendly Windows chime that it makes when USB devices are recognized.  Thinking that maybe I did a bad job, I soldered up another one. That one also didn't work!  No way, I couldn't have made a mistake on the schematic, could I?  I mean, it was just a PICAXE change, a different LDO, and I added a jumper for external power.

I brought the boards home with me, hoping that I would find time tonight to diagnose the problem.  Luckily, I did find the time.  And there were a lot of problems.

The first thing I did was take a bare board and check the connections.  I found that there was a trace in my layout that shouldn't have been there.  I think that in the process of routing and rerouting, I forgot to delete an extra trace and ended up with some components shorted to ground.  Next, there was a trace missing between the CH340G and one of the 22pF capacitors.

Once I made these changes, the COM port was recognized!  Yay!  Ok, now to test my simple program from the 14M2 on the 20M2.


But it wouldn't program.  The first thing I checked was the Serial In line, and sure enough I found a problem there.  One cut and add later, I got it all working.  Phew.



I'm not sure that video uploaded properly.  You can also see it on Google+.

No comments:

Post a Comment